Thursday 10 February 2011

The Hole.....

Well today was interesting. I decided that since the cost of shipping and air travel are rising at an alarming rate, we would speed up our relocation plans. We were due to go on holiday to Barbados and sort out the foundations for our relocation, then come back to the UK earn a bit more in the way of pounds sterling and then make a final trip a little later in the year to resettle. However the knock on effect of the recession has raised it's ugly head once again. Fuel costs have driven up the cost of this relocation dramatically from the estimates that we were given in 2010. This has prompted a decision to just make one journey and make the move sooner rather than later. Decision made, I thought it would be polite to let my employers know that that I will not be returning from my booked holiday.

Simple.

Not so! Why I hear you ask?

Well apparently I will be leaving them in a HOLE. 

Let me explain. I am supposed to give four weeks notice, but in my case there are only two weeks till my booked holiday time will commence. However there are four weeks left up till the end of the booked holiday time, but I will not actually be here. That was when the lady from Human Resources explained about the hole I was leaving them in and that I was breaking my contract with them. The head of department seemed to lose the ability of speech when in my vicinity.

The lady from HR was asking if I had already booked the flights.......HELLO????
Of course, she thought there would have been every possibility that I might, just might, at great cost to myself, rebook the flights, (which would mean re-organising the shipping and the Barbados Ministry of Foreign Affairs appointment) so that the HOLE would shifted to my pocket.

In hindsight, I should not have bothered giving any notice at all and called them from Barbados to say that I was not coming back.

Then I would have listened for the echo back up the HOLE.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.