Thursday 3 February 2011

Legal Stuff

I have been putting off tackling the legal side of this whole move. I suppose it is that I find formalities such a drag.  Well today I did myself proud and called the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade.
You see how long that title is? Just reading it makes me think of some self important official who would do their utmost best to dot every i and cross every t. Someone who would have a certain disdain for a small fry like me, trying to lay claim to little part of Barbados. Someone ready to make me jump hoops before offering any help.

So you can imagine my surprise on phoning the office direct and being transferred to a pleasant sounding, informative, mildly toned lady, who made no hesitation in taking our details and getting the ball rolling. The lady informed me that we will need documentation showing that we have resided outside of Barbados for the past ten years, our passports, our Barbados citizenship paperwork and our local telephone number for when we arrive on the island. I asked about the possibility of  bringing in our vehicle from the UK and she told me to bring the proof of cost, purchase and payment, as well as the vehicle registration document. Well how simple is that?

Once we arrive in Barbados, all we will need to do is call the office and ask for the same lady, who will arrange an interview in order to see if we can qualify as a under The Barbados Network Programme. In doing so will limit the amount of duty that will be charged on our personal effects.


Well it sounds as easy as ABC, so I will need to pray that the timing of the shipped goods, customs clearance and the appointment at the Foreign Ministry work out correct.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.